IPv6 Testing on Apple Personal Hotspot

I have IPv6 set up and running on my home network, but there was some testing I wanted to run remotely. My local Starbucks WiFi isn’t running IPv6 according to my quick test with https://test-ipv6.com/

2019-10-28 (2)

The same test from my iPhone on TMobile shows it’s running IPv6 by default.

20191028_221547000_iOS

I had read somewhere that Apple supported IPv6 on the personal hotspot through a loophole in the netmask routing algorithms used by most providers..

When I tested the local network connection on my computer while connected to the Apple Personal Hotspot, it appeared to be running IPv6.

Mon 10/28/2019 14:57:08.69 C:\Users\Wim>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : WimSurface
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : WIMSWORLD.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : WIMSWORLD.local

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B6-AE-2B-C1-21-16
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #5
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B6-AE-2B-C1-24-16
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B4-AE-2B-C1-20-17
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth PAN HelpText
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B4-AE-2B-C1-20-18
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:fb90:f2a:1b9b:4d30:692:7441:1cf4(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2607:fb90:f2a:1b9b:2495:be8c:b229:b0b6(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4d30:692:7441:1cf4%4(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.20.10.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.240
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 28, 2019 3:01:16 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 2:46:49 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1089:a438:80a9:f8e%4
                                    172.20.10.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.20.10.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 95727147
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-D8-F3-3B-B4-AE-2B-C1-20-17
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1089:a438:80a9:f8e%4
                                    172.20.10.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Mon 10/28/2019 15:03:26.55 C:\Users\Wim>

Unfortunately when I connected to my phone from my computer via the personal hotspot, I wasn’t able to get positive IPv6 results. Obviously the hotspot was working since I was able to get to the test site via IPv4 without issues.

2019-10-28 (1)

I’d read “RIPE NIC: ‘In Five Weeks We’ll Run Out of IPv4 Internet Addresses’ “ earlier today and have always been interested in understanding more of the nuances of using IPv6 compared to IPv4. Getting Ready for IPv4 Run-out has more information on how they are allocating IPv4 addresses..

 

 

IPV6 6to4 and Centurylink

My home internet is DSL by Centrylink. I’ve got the DSL modem connected to a Netgear WNDR3800 router that I’ve been happy with for the past 6 months. With the recent (6/6/2012) IPV6 day I decided to look into whether I had IPV6 available to me.

It was fairly easy to go into the advanced settings of the router and tell it to use Automatic mode for IPV6. Once I’d done that I could go to sites to test my network connection such as http://test-ipv6.com/ or http://ipv6-test.com/. Both of those sites indicated that I was using the 6to4 mechanism for IPV6 access.  If I clicked on either of the information buttons for the ipv4 or ipv6 addresses, they both showed as being registered to Qwest, which doesn’t surprise me because I’ve seen how far behind internet bookkeeping usually falls when companies change names.

I don’t know if the 6to4 was being done at my router, or if it was being done at a qwest data center.

I know that when I ran the tests in my browsers on my windows machines and iPad they all came back saying that they had a unique IPv6 address, but the browser would prefer using IPv4 if it was available.

What I seemed to notice was that some of the apps on my iPad seemed to have more intermittent issues connecting to services. The facebook app seemed the worst of these. I don’t know if the problem was at all related to the state of IPv6 on my network, but I’ve decided to disable IPv6 at the router for the next couple of weeks and see if things on my end are any more stable. The options in my router were Disabled, Auto Detect, Auto Config, 6To4 Tunnel, Pass Through, Fixed, DHCP, or PPoE. My router is configured in the basic setup so that it does PPoE to the quest server to supply my IPv4 address, and I selected Auto Detect in this dialog to try out IPv6. I looked at http://qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/static-ipv6.html and only found details of using a limited selection of modems.

I’m interested in knowing if anyone that is not using one of the Centurylink supplied DSL Modems is using IPv6, and if so what settings are used, and what the results or various tests have been.