I recently came across the Govee Meat Thermometer on sale at amazon and decided to give it a try and see if the communication protocol was similar to any of the other Govee thermometers I’ve bought, the H5177, H5075 or H5074.
The Bluetooth communication protocol is different from any of the other devices I’ve got, but after a day of staring at raw data I was able to figure out some of the details and add support to my monitoring program https://github.com/wcbonner/GoveeBTTempLogger/ . The Bluetooth announcements from the device include both the current temperature and the set alarm temperature. I’ve not yet figured out the battery strength data. The phone app displays the battery, so I know it should be available.
There’s an orange button on one side to turn the unit on. Hold for three seconds. It will beep indicating it’s on. The LED will start flashing green, and the device will periodically send Bluetooth announcements including the temperature and alarm temperature. If you connect to the device with the phone app, the LED will switch to flashing blue, indicating that it’s in a connected state. While the device is in a connected state, it doesn’t not send out announcements. To return it to standard mode, simply exit back to the top level of the app. The app will still alarm when the probe gets to set temperature. Holding the button for three seconds when it’s on will turn it off, with beeps to confirm the change.
A nice feature of this device is that it has a magnet built in, enough to hold the device to the front of a metal oven.
Details from the Amazon listing:
- Useful Smart Alerts: If temperatures fall out of your preset range, an alarm will sound, and you will get a phone alerts notification via the Govee Home app. The probe measuring range is 0° to 300°C /32° to 572°F. Note: press and hold the orange button for 3 seconds to power on.
- Convenient Remote Monitoring: Tired of waiting near a hot grill, With a 230ft/70m smart Bluetooth wireless control range(no obstructions), you are free to relax and check your temperatures on your smartphone at a glance. Remember to remove the protective tip before use.
- Performance Review: Detailed temperature data and easy-to-read charts are generated within 2 hours. (Charts can’t be stored/downloaded) Perfect for a quick review or an in-depth analysis of temperature performance. Improve your cooking and temperature with calibration at ±5°C.
- Temperature Made Easy: 28 temperature recommendations for 14 types of foods take the hassle out of cooking. Ideal for both beginner cooks and pro chefs.
- Practical Features: Temperature switching between Fahrenheit and Celcius. (The default unit is Fahrenheit) Mute alarm function and countdown timer on the Govee Home app. The magnetic back can easily be attached to the refrigerator, oven or grill, or any other metal surface. Note: Please keep the meat thermometer unit safe from heat sources and very hot surfaces to protect its internal batteries and exterior shell.
- Part Number: B5183011